With Season 8 of the Great British Bake off in full swing I thought it would be fitting to dedicate a post to a coffee cake that not only tastes amazing, but gives us amateur bakers a chance of making something, well, more than just edible.
The smell of fresh coffee and cake in the morning is something of a delight and a cake that stimulates my senses better than most is the banana bread coffee cake. Simple to make, somewhat healthy and a pleasure to eat with coffee makes this a perfect treat. So without further a do let’s go bananas!
Prep time – 25 mins
Bake time – 40 mins
- 4 medium sized ripe bananas
- 2 table spoons of brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tea spoons of vanilla extract
- 1/2 tea spoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tea spoons of baking soda
- 1/4 tea spoon salt
- 2 table spoons of Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 6 table spoons of cold butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease up whatever cake tins you have. In my case an 8×8 inch pan.
- In a small bowl, mash together bananas, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, mix butter and sugar together until light and fluffy then beat in eggs until mixed.
- Sift in flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir until combined then add in yogurt and mix.
- Pour in banana mash and mix together.
- Combine cinnamon, flour, and brown sugar.
- Mix in butter until the topping looks like coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle coating evenly over the batter in both pans.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Enjoy preferably with some awesome coffee.